The Tikvat Israel adult education program includes educational courses, lectures and movie screenings designed to enrich the cultural and spiritual lives of our congregants. Programs focus on many aspects of Jewish life.
Adult Education Events 2016 -2017
- Tikvat Israel Univeristy
- A morning of TED Talk-style learning, featuring TI congregants as instructors, beginning at 9:45 am, Sunday, June 4. Learning tracks include Arts & Culture, Business & Professional Development, Research & Development, Self Care and Lifestyle.
- Lifelong Judaic Learning
- Mussar: The Jewish Approach to Character Development: Study with Rabbi Shull the classic sources of Mussar beginning with Maimonides’s Hilchot De’ot from his code of Jewish law, Mishneh Torah (in Hebrew with English translation). Every Friday morning at 9:00 a.m., following 8:00 morning minyan. Each session will last approximately 45 minutes to one hour. All are welcome regardless of Jewish background.
- Rabbi Ira Brandriss is continuing his year-long class “Sefer Chafetz Chaim on Laws of Loshon Hora.” Classes are scheduled at Tikvat Israel for several Wednesday nights.
- Congregant Barbara Ridberg will once again be enrolling adult students in her Hebrew language classes, through the Adult Hebrew Language Institute.
- The Florence Melton School of Jewish Learning – Classes begin in October, exact date TBA
Rabbi Shull will be teaching at The Florence Melton School of Jewish Learning is the largest pluralistic adult Jewish education network in the world. Founded in 1980 at the initiative of Florence Zacks Melton, a community activist and longtime supporter of Jewish education, the Melton School initially opened with three pilot sites in North America. Driven by her vision, there are now 47 Melton Schools in 47 cities throughout the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, attended weekly by some 5,500 students. For more information click here.
- Israel Presents 2018: Two Evenings of Israeli Film at Tikvat Israel – Jan. 20 and 27, 2018
Celebrating thirteen years of Israeli film excellence at TI, the best of recent Israeli cinema will be showcased during the 2018 edition of Israel Presents at Tikvat Israel Congregation on the final two Saturday nights of January.
If you have ideas and energy, we’d love to have you on the Adult Education Committee. Make a difference. Share your vision.
Contact: Sally Kram