Tikvat Israel Congregation

A Conservative Synagogue in Rockville, MD

History

Tikvat Israel, which means Hope of Israel, was formed in 1997 through the merger of Temple Israel of Silver Spring, Maryland, with Beth Tikva of Rockville, Maryland.

Temple Israel was founded in 1951, Beth Tikva in 1959.

We are now housed in an expanded building on the original grounds of Beth Tikva. Today, with 298 member families, the success of the merger is seen every day in growing bonds of friendship, religious services, educational and social activities, and in a common devotion to the Jewish community.

We are now housed in an expanded building on the original grounds of Beth Tikva.

Today, with nearly 300 member families, the success of the merger is seen every day in growing bonds of friendship, religious services, educational and social activities, and in a common devotion to the Jewish community.

 

Originally printed in WJW April 2012

In 2012 Rabbi Howard Gorin retired after 32 years of service. Rabbi David Abramson became our part-time rabbi, working closely with Cantor Rochelle Helzner.  As of July 2015, we welcomed Rabbi Benjamin Shull as our full-time rabbi.

A short article on our history can be found here.