The Omer Project: Receiving the Torah Body and Soul
The 49 day period between Pesach and Shavuot is an opportunity to prepare ourselves mentally, physically, and spiritually to receive the gift of Torah as our ancestors did at Sinai.
The month of IYAR is also thought to be a time that people can restore their fractured souls to wholeness, and refine their innate character traits as they prepare to receive Torah in the month of Sivan.
It is thought to be a time for healing and opportunity for self-improvement.
Rabbi Karyn Kedar carries the reader through a spiritual journey in her book, OMER: A Counting (follow the link to the CCAR page, where you can purchase the book, and read in advance to prepare for discussions). Once per week, over the next seven weeks, we are delighted to share with you quotations from this excellent book with the hope that it will be a source of insight and inspiration. Click here to see the quotes, and add your thoughts to the discussion.
Come … let us count the days ahead, each one considered, each one light upon the dawn, tenderly revealing an inner light (and) strength… So much possibility.
Save the Dates –
- The Jüdische Kulturbund Project: Art and the Resiliency of the Human Spirit.
- Who: Gail Prensky, creator and project director, Jüdische Kulturbund Project
- When: Thursday, May 5 (Yom Hashoah), 7:30 p.m.
- Contemplative Prayer
- Who: Janaki Kuruppu and Rabbi Ben Shull
- When: 9:30 to 10:15 am, Saturday, May, 7, 2016
- Keynote Event: Jewish Tradition and Healing
- Who: Rabbi Simkha Weintraub, LCSW, Rabbinic Director, Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services
- When: 7:30 pm, Monday, May 9, 2016
- Moving Our Feet: Israeli Dance
- Who: Award-winning Yesodot teenage dance troupe
- When: 6:30 pm, Yom Ha’atzmaut, Thursday, May 12, 2016
- Mindful Eating
- Who: Debbie Amster
- When: 7:30 pm, Tuesday, May 17, 2016
- The Work of Our Hands – click here to register
- Who: Shirley Waxman, Bobbie Gorban, Melanie Grishman, Bonnie Korr, Shelley Goldin, and Tamah Graber
- When: 2:00 to 4:00 pm, Sunday, May 22
- The Rhythm of Life: A Drumming Circle
- Who: Dr. Josh Milner, the prayer leader at Ohev Sholom
- When: 7:30 pm, Thursday, May 26, 2016
- Restoring Hope: Coping with Loss
- Who: Dr. Stacy Lang, a licensed social worker and specialist in grief counseling
- When: 8:00 pm, Thursday, June 9, 2016
- Shavuot Study
- When: Shavuot, Saturday, June 11, 2016
- Commitment Panel Discussion
- Who: Omer Project participants
- What: Discussion about emotional and spiritual reactions to their journey through the Omer period and commitments they plan to make as a result of the Omer Project experience
- When: After kiddush, Shavuot, Sunday, June 12, 2016
- Chesed (Lovingkindness) and Mitzvot
- Who: Congregants of all ages
- When: Throughout the 49 days of the Omer
The flyer for the program can be found here.